German media are reporting that the stadium in Hannover has been evacuated right before the soccer game between Germany and The Netherlands was about to start tonight.
Police are getting everyone out of the stadium as fast as possible, there is talk of a bomb threat and suspicious persons in the area of the stadium and a 'concrete danger to the entire Hannover area'.
Dutch journalists from FC Afkicken are livestreaming via Periscope.
- In summary: despite credible information from French security sources no actual threat has materialised (yet) but the stadium was evacuated out of justified caution.
- Dutch soccer team reportedly underway to the airport.
- No arrests either:
- No actual explosives found yet in Hannover:
- Match was cancelled due to tips from France:
German Interior Minister says won't comment on cancelling #Hannover match so as not to put off potential informants in the future-- katya adler (@BBCkatyaadler) November 17, 2015
- From the press conference:
German interior minister says there's "high threat to Germany and Europe" amid reports of explosive devices found at soccer game #Hannover-- Kim Hjelmgaard (@khjelmgaard) November 17, 2015
- Concert in TUI Arena to go ahead as planned:
- Press conference of German interior ministry starting here
- Report of suspicious package at railway station, according to Hannover police.
BREAKING NEWS: Hannover police closed off part of the city's central train station as another object has been found. https://t.co/5VEThsckaR-- Breaking News Feed (@pzf) November 17, 2015
- Meanwhile in Wembley Stadium in the U.K.:
- Players have been evacuated to safe area.
- Angela Merkel was scheduled to attend but wasn't present. Possible target?
- CNN: "serious plans for explosions":
- Apparently the plan was to detonate the bomb in the stadium:
Hannover police chief: "There was a device intended to be detonated inside the stadium." pic.twitter.com/uCUlIzgN9O-- AJ+ (@ajplus) November 17, 2015
- German media reporting the police had prior notice of the threat.
- Anti-terrorism units on the scene:
Polizeiabsperrung in Hannover: "Vorsicht Lebensgefahr" (Foto: dpa) pic.twitter.com/FM0GdwK2aX-- SPIEGEL ONLINE (@SPIEGELONLINE) November 17, 2015
- Reports that islamists had planned an attack:
+++EILMELDUNG+++ Islamisten sollen Attentat in Hannover geplant haben https://t.co/fLeUs9auAB-- Rolf Fritsche (@kefer83512) November 17, 2015
- Images from the scene:
- Unconfirmed reports of a man being held at gunpoint by police.
- Subway services in Hannover are shut down:
Die U-Bahn-Haltestellen in der Innenstadt von Hannover sind gesperrt. Anweisung der Polizei. #GERNED-- BILD Sport (@BILD_Sport) November 17, 2015
- More reports about an ambulance with explosives, but unconfirmed by police:
BREAKING NEWS: Report: An ambulance filled with explosives was found in front of the stadium in Hannover. https://t.co/5VEThsckaR-- Breaking News Feed (@pzf) November 17, 2015
- A concert hall is reportedly also evacuated.
Concert at 14,000-capacity TUI Arena in Hannover also evacuated. via @BILD-- Josie Ensor (@Josiensor) November 17, 2015
Hannover police chief spoke of a citywide threat. Ambulance with explosives found outside the stadium. Wow.-- Cristian Nyari (@Cnyari) November 17, 2015